Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Assessing often vs End of Unit Assessments

Every second Friday of the month I will be giving the students a very short quiz on the math units they have covered. In my career, and personal experience as a child who thought that math was something she could never master, I have seen how assessing often in smaller portions (AKA chunking) allows a student to feel less test anxiety and leads to greater success. Many teachers give end-of-the-unit tests that span up to 4 or 5 pages. I think any child sitting down to a multiple page test in Mathematics is bound to feel overwhelmed. I will give ample notice of all quizzes during the week ahead.

If you wish to have extra practice then check out the following amazing website:
 http://www.nelson.com/mathfocus/grade5/student/tryout.html#ch1

You can also click on the "Resources' tab above and use the Practice and Homework Book for sample questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment